Danger Spots for Pets At Home

Danger Spots for Pets At Home

No matter how conscientious you are when it comes to pet safety, there are a few potential danger zones in every animal owner’s home. The trick is taking simple precautions to keep your dog or cat safe from harm! Here, your Clio, MI veterinarian gives you a few quick tips.

The Kitchen

Kitchens are hotbeds for pet hazards. For one, there are all kinds of human foods that can hurt a pet—onions, garlic, grapes and raisins, chocolate, candy, gum, avocado, and alcohol are just a few of the most common offenders. Kitchens also contain hot surfaces like stovetops, ovens, and coffeepots. Don’t forget about sharp objects such as knives, graters, and soup can lids! It’s best to keep pets out of the kitchen when cooking; put away all harmful foods in closed cabinets or the refrigerator.

The Supply Closet

Don’t let your pet gain access to the supply closet. Just about any cleaning product—everything from stain removers and furniture polish to household disinfectants and air fresheners—can poison a pet who manages to swallow it! Your safest course of action is to keep the supply closet shut tightly at all times, and move pets elsewhere if you’re using strong cleaning chemicals.

The Medicine Cabinet

Childproof plastic caps on medicine bottles are no match for a determined pet’s jaws; to be safe, store medicine inside the closed medicine cabinet or drawer to prevent any prying paws. A variety of human medicine (aspirin, antidepressants, all kinds of pharmaceuticals, and more) can prove toxic to animals!

The Fireplace

Fireplaces, as well as portable heating devices, can cause burns if pets accidentally swipe their tail or a limb through an open flame or too close to a heat source. Pets may also choose to sleep close to a fireplace or heating device for warmth, but can be burned if they remain there for too long. Keep a close eye on your pet while they’re near these devices.

The Garage

Generally speaking, pets and garages don’t mix. First, there is the dangerous possibility of moving a car without knowing your pet is underneath. Garages are also home to a variety of toxic materials like pesticides, fertilizers, paint thinner, and more. Small objects like nails or bolts could be swallowed and/or choked on. As a rule, try to keep your pet out of the garage!

For more tips, contact your Clio, MI veterinary clinic.

Facebook