Autumn Dangers for Pets

Autumn Dangers for Pets

Autumn is officially here: the leaves are changing, the temperature is dropping, and stores and restaurants are offering pumpkin-flavored everything. Fall is a lovely time of year, but it does pose some hazards to our furry friends. Here, a Flushing, MI vet lists some common autumn dangers for pet parents to be aware of.

Wild Animals

In fall, many wild animals are looking for their winter homes. Since many wild animals get cranky and aggressive before hibernation, they may be more likely to attack than usual. Keep your furry pal away from areas that look like potential dens, and stay current with your pet’s vaccines and parasite control.

Seasonal Candies

Candies and sweets are a classic autumn holiday tradition. Unfortunately, many of these delicious treats are toxic to pets. Chocolate; nuts; grapes, currants, and raisins; and caffeine are all dangerous to our four-legged friends, as are products that contain xylitol. Hard candies and even plastic wrappers are also hazardous, as pets could easily choke on them. Keep that candy dish out of paws’ reach!

Weather

Autumn nights can get quite cold. Make sure your furry buddy has a warm, comfy bed to curl up in. We recommend that pets live indoors, but if Fido has a doghouse to hang out in outside, give it a good cleaning, and make sure it’s well-insulated. If you let your cat go out, make sure she has an emergency shelter.

Senior Pets

Older pets often get stiff and sore as the weather changes. Pets with bone/joint issues, such as arthritis, may benefit from pain management therapy, massages, or supplements. Ask your vet for specific recommendations.

Chemicals

In fall, many people fill their cars with antifreeze, and apply lawn/garden products, like fertilizer, to their yards. These chemicals are very toxic to pets! Keep your four-legged friend away from recently-treated areas. If you have an antifreeze spill, clean it up immediately, and cover the damp spot with sand.

Heating Devices

In autumn, many people like to burn scented candles, as they give off a cozy, inviting glow and aroma. Just be very careful with candles: pets can easily knock them over and start a fire! Fireplaces and space heaters are also hazardous. Use secure grates on heating devices, and restrict your furball’s access to them.

Is your pet due for veterinary care? Contact us, your local Flushing, MI animal hospital, today!

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook